In 1923 the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles was officially dedicated, the sign lies in the hills above Hollywood and has become an American cultural icon. The sign originally read ‘Hollywoodland’ up until renovation in 1949 when land was dropped from the sign. “HOLLYWOOD” is spelled out in 45-foot-tall white capital letters and is 350 feet long. It was originally created in 1923 as an advertisement for a local real estate development, but it garnered increasing recognition after the sign was left up. The sign was a frequent target of pranks and vandalism, but it has since undergone restoration, including the installation of a security system to deter vandalism. The sign is protected and promoted by The Trust For Public Land, a nonprofit organization, while its site and the surrounding land are part of Griffith Park.